Friday, April 2, 2010

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (Back Bay Books)

I have always been interested in the Salem witch trials and American history in general so when I saw this cover at the bookstore, I immediately wanted to read it. And I must say, I was not disappointed with it. I would definitely recommend it to pretty much any type of reader. It is a fairly easy read, and an extremely compelling tale of girl who was the daughter of one of the many women killed during the hysteria of the Salem witch trials. It tells the story through the perspective of the child Sarah Carrier who watches this horrific event unfold and tear apart her family. The novel follows the accusations, the trials and through this shows how irrational the whole process was. Though the beginning drags a little, mostly do the great amount of detail which helps set up the story, by the end you won't be able to put it down. Definitely a good read for a free weekend afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment