Thursday, April 1, 2010

Starting Out

I have been juggling a couple of different books lately (don't tell them I have been cheating on them) and I don't seem to be able to get anywhere with either of them. I find myself longing for the days back in middle school in high school when I seemed to be able to fly through books with ease racking up numbers left and right. Now it takes me weeks to get through a book. Not only do I seem to be reading more slowly but I don't seem to be able to concentrate on a book for as long as a time as I used to be able to. I think this stems from having to read too much "serious" literature in English classes for the last 4 years. Now that I am finally crawling out from under the rock that has been college and exploring what has been added to world of literature since I went into hiding. It got really bad in the middle of my college years. There was a period of time where I couldn't even read anything more challenging than a gossip magazine or a trashy novel on my free time. I'm hoping with increased free time I'll be able to get back to those days of carefree hours of reading. Baby steps. We'll see how much longer it takes me to finish what is currently on my bookshelf: The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates and Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts. Two weeks in, hopefully it won't take two weeks more.

No comments:

Post a Comment